Update on Power Outages
With Westchester residents continuing to face widespread power and internet service outages, I have provided information below that includes updates from Con Edison on power outages and dry ice distribution, as well as information from Optimum, Verizon, and Metro-North.
I will be back with my usual events email next week. With more in-person events returning, I will transition to sending a shorter email that focuses only on weekend events.
If you have any other questions or need assistance, please email me at email@example.com or call my office at (914) 723-1115.
Stay safe and healthy, and please share this email with friends and neighbors.
Con Edison Outage Updates
- Report your outage – if you have a power outage and have not yet reported it, call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) or go to https://www.coned.com/en/services-and-outages/report-track-service-issue/report-outage-status. Do not assume Con Edison already knows about your outage. Once you have informed ConEd, you should automatically receive updates, including your estimated restoration time, as they become available.
- To sign up for text alerts from Con Edison, text REG to OUTAGE (688243) and follow the prompts. You will need your account number and your zip code.
- If you are experiencing an outage, switch off or unplug electrical appliances to avoid potential damage to the appliances when power is restored. Leave at least one light switch in the on position to alert you when power has been restored.
- Stay away from downed wires and assume they are live. Never attempt to move downed wires or touch them with your hands or any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by tree limbs, leaves, or water. If a wire falls on your car while you are in it, call 911, and then stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- View the Outage Map – you can view ConEd’s Outage Map by going to https://apps.coned.com/stormcenter/external/default.html.
Dry Ice Distribution – Con Edison
Con Edison will continue to have mobile information centers with workers available to answer questions at the following locations, and they will be distributing dry ice from these locations in the afternoon from 12:30 pm until 9:00 pm, or until supplies run out.
- At New Rochelle City Hall (515 North Ave, New Rochelle, NY 10801), in the rear parking lot on Hamilton Avenue
- At the Yorktown Food Emporium (355 Downing Drive, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598)
Instructions for safe handling and disposal of dry ice are printed on the bag containing the ice. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide and should be used only in well-ventilated areas. A reminder: children and pets should be kept safely away from dry ice.
Con Edison is following safety guidelines issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, the state, and the county for COVID-19 and asks customers to practice social distancing while waiting with others and speaking with Con Edison representatives. That will help ensure that everyone remains safe during the health crisis.
Cable and Fiberoptic Outages
Residents may be experiencing a loss of Optimum and Verizon services even after power has been restored. Many of these service outages may be related to other power outages that have yet to be restored.
- Altice (Optimum)
- Optimum is aware that subscribers are patiently waiting for service to be restored. Optimum crews are mobilized and are actively working to restore service. For more information visit http://optimum.com/outage or call 1-866-200-7273.
- Verizon (Fios)
- To report a service outage to Verizon, go to https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/service-outage or call 1-800-922-0204.
Metro-North Service Changes
While crews continue to make repairs on the Harlem and New Haven lines, customers may encounter delays of between 10 and 20 minutes, and cancellations are possible. Face coverings are required on all Metro North trains. Please allow for extra travel time.
- Harlem Line: Metro-North is operating on a weekend service schedule between Mt. Kisco and Grand Central Terminal. There is no service between Bedford Hills and Wassaic.
- New Haven Line: Metro-North is operating on a weekend service schedule between New Haven and Grand Central Terminal. Service has been successfully restored between Stamford and New Haven.
- Due to ongoing track and signal repairs, bridge plates have been installed at some stations on the New Haven line. When boarding a train using bridge plates, never wait on the bridge plates for your train, let riders exit the train before getting on the bridge plates, and cross the bridge plate one person at a time.
Con Edison Customers with Life Support Equipment
Con Edison recommends that if you are a customer with Life Support Equipment, please make sure you are on notice with Con Edison for such service needs, including if you do not receive a bill directly from Con Edison. If you have not already registered, please complete ConEd’s Safety for Special Customers form and return it to Con Edison for future storms.
For Elderly, Blind and Disabled residents, Con Edison encourages those customers to contact and register with their Senior Direct representatives at 800-404-9097, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
For more information or to fill out a Life-Support Equipment survey, residents can use the attached document or visit this link: https://www.coned.com/en/accounts-billing/payment-plans-assistance/special-services